My Pain Management Plan

Friday, October 24, 2008 | 0 Comments

Having a plan helps me to manage my pain on a daily basis. Often when I would know that I was getting ready to go through a downturn on the cycle, I would become anxious and depressed. So my husband and I came up this one:

Level 1 - Little to no pain. No interference in physical or cognitive skills. No needs for meds. Usually I need 9 hours of solid sleep to maintain a level 1.

Level 2 - Rise in pain often first noticed as the ache in my upper left arm and shoulder. I begin to twitch and stretch my left shoulder - that a big tip-off to my level of discomfort. This starts to happen when I become tired, didn't have enough sleep or haven't be active enough. I can still perform my routine physical and cognitive tasks. I also usually don't feel anxious at this step. My med regime is often valerian with passion flower or ibuprofen. Now is a good time to do extra yoga or walking.

Level 3 - All over pain - in my left shoulder, neck, back of head, between my eyes, behind left or right ear, sharp quick pains in extremities. Cognitive functioning decreases - memory, problem-solving - and so do physical abilities - coordination, balance, fine motor skills. The medications necessary to alleviate the pain at this level add to the mental and physical abilities - Flexeril and Lortab. Both make me drowsy and fuzzy-thinking. At this stage I stop using power tools (not a good idea to handle tools that spin at 6,000 rpm)

Level 4 - High level of pain. Time to take some meds and zone out for a day or two to recuperate. I can do simple tasks like housecleaning, laundry - puttering stuff. I usually can't read at this level but I can listen to audio books.

0 comments:

Post a Comment